What to do if you are in an automobile accident:
1. Call 911 or the local police to the accident scene.
2. If you are able, get the other driver’s full name, telephone number, and insurance company name and policy number.
3. If you are able, get any witnesses’ names and contact information.
4. If you are able, take photos of the accident scene/vehicle(s).
5. Go to the doctor or ER if you feel you are injured.
6. As soon as you can, write down the events that took place before and after the accident.
7. Contact your insurance company as soon as possible.
8. Follow the doctor’s directions precisely. If the doctor recommends that you rest, then rest. If it’s recommended that you use a cold compress, use a cold compress, etc.
9. It is also important to follow up with your doctor, as recommended.
10. Keep all medical bills, medical records, correspondence, etc., in one place.
11. For damage to your vehicle, locate all maintenance records for your vehicle to show the insurance company. If a new transmission or new tires were recently installed on your vheicle, send that information to the insurance company. This will, hopefully, increase the value of your vehicle.
12. If you have any concerns about your injury, please feel free to contact Buckland & Schumm. We offer free consultations and have over 27 years experience EXCLUSIVELY in personal injury law, with a long history of success helping accident victims understand their rights.